Chipping Norton Town 4 Harrow Hill 2

Chippy recorded their second win in a row with a comfortable victory over newly promoted Harrow Hill. An early brace from Andy Varnam set Chippy on their way and the game was never in doubt from that moment onwards.

Chippy won the toss and played with the fierce wind, and were quick out of the blocks, Steve Knight cut inside his man and saw his shot rattle the Hill bar within two minutes. It didn't take long for the breakthrough to come though, on 4 minutes they took a deserved lead when Knight's inviting cross from the left wing was met by Man Of The Match Andy Varnam at the far post to head home cleanly from 6 yards out. It was 2-0 on 9 minutes, a deep free kick from skipper Tim Jenkins went to the back post where Andy Varnham was again on hand to beat his taller marker to the ball and head home from close range. They almost increased the lead moments later when following some lovely approach play between Jenkins and Varnam, Dave Skipp beat his man and drilled in a sweet 20-yard shot that hit the post. It took half an hour for the third goal to arrive, but when it did it was more than deserved, Steve Knight thumping a sweet 25-yard free-kick into the bottom corner for his 3rd goal in as many games. The visitors pulled one back on the stroke of half time when Eddie Weyman scored from close range to keep the game in the balance.

If Town started swiftly in the first half, they were even more rapid in the second, Dave Skipp picked the ball up straight from the kick off and ran through 5 Hill defender's before firing in from just inside the penalty area for one of the best solo goals scored at Walterbush Road, all inside just eight seconds. Moments after Chippy almost scored a fifth but Steve Ozcak's header was well saved by Reid. Jarrow came into the game more during the final half an hour and scored a late consolation on 70 minutes when poor marking allowed Weyman to score his second of the game, heading home from inside the six yard box. The Magpies almost finished the game with another couple of goals, substitute Julian Spalding having an effort blocked on the line, and then Skipp having another effort well saved by Reid. All in all a good afternoon for this improving Chippy side, still without several injured players, and this promises a much more exciting season for their hardened supporters.

TEAM: Mark Harris 7, Gary Morrison 7, Andy Harris 7, Steve Olczak 7, Nathan Meade 7, Tim Jenkins 8, Nathan Haisley 8, Steve Knight 8(Wayne Vincent 84), Cameron Busby 7 (Gary Wilson 69/7), Dave Skipp 8, Andy Varnam 9* (Julian Spalding 63/7)