"Another good performance!"

9 Sept

Chippy continued their recent improved form by coming back from conceding a goal within three minutes to gain victory courtesy of first strikes of the season from Steve Olczak and skipper Tim Jenkins. Ian Ford was without Nathan Meade and Gary Morrison, both having picked up injuries in the defeat at Hungerford, but new signing Wes Proverbs came in at left back, and Craig Holman had recovered from a thigh injury and slotted in at right back.  It was a beautiful sunny day up at Hailey Road and the visitors on the back of a thumping 5-1 victory were in a confident mood early on putting Town under some early pressure, Chris Davis had already caused unease and fired in a shot narrowly wide, before Pete Smith crossed from the left flank into the crowded area, Chippy�s defence had two opportunities to clear, both were ineffective, the ball bouncing around and deflecting like a pinball machine, and eventually the second blocked clearance broke to Davis who lashed home from ten yards.  Town gradually found their stride and had already gone close when Dave Skipp (pictured left) had shot just over the top, when they equalised on the quarter hour.  Steve Knight�s free-kick from 20-yards was superbly tipped over the bar by Shortwood stopper Ewan Prentice, an ex-Magpie, and from the resulting corner Knight�s superb delivery left Prentice in no mans land, and Olczak volleyed home from inside the six yard box.  It was all Chippy now as they poured forward, Skipp and Varnam creating constant problems for the �Wood� defence who were resorting to fouls to keep them quiet.  Another Knight free-kick was again tipped over by Prentice, then a Skipp shot from distance was again deflected wide.  Eventually Shortwood conceded a free-kick to many and were punished just on the half hour.  Tim Jenkins taking responsibility from 25-yards and his powerful low drive found the corner of the net, past the despairing dive from Prentice.  Chippy continued their attacks right up to half-time with Knight fizzing a long range effort just over and Cameron Busby�s forceful run and shot being well saved by Prentice.  Davis was a constant menace on the break, but the visitors were struggling to maintain possession in the Chippy half and therefore his service was very infrequent   Half-time 2-1

The second half was largely scrappy, with the odd piece of individual skill lighting up proceedings.  The Town defence, superbly marshalled by Olczak and Nathan Haisley were dealing with the dangers that presented themselves to them, and Chippy always looked the most likely to add to the score, a Jenkins free-kick was headed goalwards by Olczak but comfortably saved by Prentice, and then another weaving run from Skipp culminated in a fierce shot that just lacked the direction required.  Shortwood�s best chance was coming from long balls, and with the Chippy keeper Mark Harris hampered by an injury, Davis challenged him to a ball he had no right to win, and when the rebound fell at his feet he must have thought the equaliser was beckoning, but Haisley had got back on the line and superbly blocked his shot and saved the day for The Magpies. Another good performance then from Chippy, and they have now picked up ten points out of fifteen to move into mid table and start to challenge the teams in the top half rather than looking beneath them

TEAM:  Mark Harris 6, Craig Holman 8, Wes Proverbs 7, Steve Olczak 8, Nathan Haisley 8, Julian Spalding 7, Tim Jenkins 8, Dave Skipp 9*, Steve Knight 7 (Gary Wilson 77/7), Cameron Busby 8, Andy Varnam 7 (Alex Volosanovs 88)


From the Shortwood game. Top. Dave Skipp takes on his man Bottom left 
Nathan Haisley heads clear  Right Steve Knight�s clips in a free-kick