Chippy again showed their bouncebackability and character, coming roaring back from a one goal deficit to secure their route into the 1st Round of the FA Vase up at Hailey Road. It was a lively start to the game with both sides having a good opportunity in the opening five minutes.  First Dave Skipp�s header from a Tim Jenkins cross was well stopped by Gordon Hearman in the Abingdon goal, and then up the other end Jezzard sprung the offside trap and was clear through one on one, but Mark Harris denied him by forcing him wide and Steve Olczak slid in to block the attempted rebound.   Skipp then harried Luke Kelly into a mistake and cut inside to shoot but Hearman denied him, saving with his legs. 

It was all Abingdon from there on to the break as Chippy looked a shadow of the side we�d seen this season.  If it weren�t for Harris they could have gone in three goals down, he thwarted Harriott first of all, then made a fantastic save from a Tom Larman header, pushing it onto a post, and finally he tipped an Alan Bertram effort wide of the post.  He was however beaten on the half hour when Andy Hough picked up the ball on the edge of the area, and unchallenged smashed a shot through a crowd of players to put his side in front.

Half-Time 0-1

Managers Ian Ford and Kevin Barry re-organised the side at the interval, shifting Gary Morrison into the midfield to add some much needed energy, they dominated the game from here on in.  Busby�s powerful run and shot had culminated in a smart low save from Hearman before Skipp exchanged passes with Jenkins and as he sped past Kelly, he was hauled to the ground and the referee correctly pointed to the spot.  Alex Volosanovs converted the penalty with ease, sending Hearman the wrong way.  Chippy were rampant now, and forced several corners, one of which saw Julian Spaldings acrobat overheadkick sail over the bar.  Within ten minutes they�d taken the lead,  Kelly tried to shepherd a ball out of play on the touchline but it was nicked off him by ever alert and willing Skipp, he cut inside and cracked a left footer past Hearmon to make it 2-1.   Chippy continued their attack and Jenkins cracked in a free kick which was just over the top.  They suffered a blow when Steve Olczak limped off with a hamstring injury with twenty minutes to play, but his replacement Anthony Akers excelled in the final third of the game, making several important blocks and winning many a header.  As the game reached its climax the home side had only one scare, when Paul Jezzard picked up a loose ball and twisted and turned his way past three defenders to fire in a powerful shot which fizzed past the post.  The final whistle blew, and Chippy progress into the First Round where they face a trip to AFC Totton n Hampshire.

 TEAM:  Mark Harris 9*, Gary Morrison 7, Wes Proverbs 6, Steve Olczak 7 (Anthony Akers 73/8), Alex Volosanovs 8, Craig Holman 6 (Steve Knight 68/7), Julian Spalding 7, Tim Jenkins 8, Dave Skipp 7, Cameron Busby 7


Alex Volosanovs equalises from the spot

Almost 2-0 but Chippy keeper Mark Harris saves