Sep 30th  CN Town 1 v Fairford Town 1

Chippy claimed a hard fought but ultimately deserved point against previously unbeaten Fairford up at Hailey Road.  Dave Skipp's early goal had put Chippy in charge, but a Courtney Chessell equaliser on the stroke of half-time ensured a share of the points.

The game started briskly and Chippy were asking searching questions of a Fairford backline that had conceded just one goal in the league before this game.  Tim Jenkins was having a bright start and linking well with Alex Volosanovs and Dave Skipp in attack.  Jenkins sent Skipp charging down the left channel and he weaved his way past four defenders but couldn't quite pick out a black and white shirt when he reached the byline and the effort was blocked.  Jenkins then zipped in a low 20-yarder which brushed the post.  Fairford had their early chances too, Phil Corcoran had broke clear but Mark Harris was quick off his line and blocked his shot.  Chippy took the lead just before the half hour, Jenkins again sent Skipp gallopig down the channel, he cut inside and stroked a well placed left foot effort into the corner of the net for the opening goal.  Heavy rain preceeded to fall and the game suffered as a consequence, Fairford now pushing on and Ashley Edenborough forced a good stop from Harris as they stepped up the pressure.  The equaliser came right on the stroke of half-time, the influencial Edenborough again ran through from midfield, and as the Chippy defence stuck with their men, Chessell broke into space, the pass reached him and he finished with aplomb. Half-Time 1-1 The second half began with both sides competing fiercely but lacking a little subtle creativity.  The heavy rain had left parts of the pitch with heavy water, so measuring an accurate pass was increasing difficult.  Fairford had the first chance when a cross from the right flank by Tom Cole found Corcoran unmarked, eight yards out, his header was firm, but somehow Harris made a fantastic twist and tipped it over the bar, great athleticism, something I never thought I'd ever say about Harry!!  Chippy were soaking up a bit of pressure now but when they broke they looked dangerous and Skipp combined well with Busby but fired his shot wide.  Jenkins then struck a firm, low free-kick which the Fairford keeper fumbled, but gathered at the second attempt.  Back came Fairford, Edenborough's shot from distance just clearing the bar, and Matthews header was straight at Harris.  Into the last quarter of an hour and it was becoming more frantic as players tired, Chippy were gifed a glorious chance when Busby hassled the Fairford keeper into a hurried, scuffed clearance and the ball fell to Skipp thirty yards out, but he wanted a touch too many before shooting and Roper got back to thwart him as an open goal beckoned.  Scott Fuller, making an impressive debut for Chippy, then peeled to the back post for a free header from a Volosanovs corner, but headed wide.  The best chance of the match was the last chance of the match, it came with just five minutes left, hesitation in the Chippy defence allowed both Corcoran and Stoddart to burst clear onto a long clearance, they approached the edge of the area totally unmarked with just Harris to beat, but they panicked, hesitated, then suddenly Corcoran aimed a wild swipe at the ball and it rolled past the post much to the relief of the Chippy players.

TEAM:  Mark Harris 9, Craig Holman 7, Wes Proverbs 7, Scott Fuller 8, Anthony Akers 7 (Steve Olczak 64/7), Cameron Busby 6, Nathan Haisley 7, Gary Morrison 7, Tim Jenkins 7, Dave Skipp 9*, Alex Volosanovs 6 (Wayne Vincent 82/7)