3rd Oct Carterton 2 Chippy Town 2

Chippy again showed their character and resilience by fighting back from a two goal deficit at half time to claim a well deserved point at Carterton on Tuesday night.  On a wet night in West Oxfordshire the first half was littered with some excellent passing from both sides, but they both lacked penetration in and around the penalty areas, ensuring a lack of goalmouth action and shots on goal.  The home side were gifted the lead early on when Gary Morrison misjudged a back pass on the long grass and Steve Avenell came out stronger in a tackle with Chippy keeper Mark Harris and rolled the ball into an empty net.  They doubled their lead on midway through the half, Avenell seized on a Stuart Lamont error, exchanged passes with Alex Green and slipped in Tony Joyce to finish with aplomb.  Cameron Busbys direct running was causing unease at the heart of the Carterton defence, and with Steve Knight also looking positive there was a threat from Chippy, but all too often there was no end product and the half ended with the home side looking in control.  Half-Time 2-0  The second half saw Ian Ford introduce Dave Skipp from the bench, in place of Knight, Skipp suffering from a dead leg had been forced to start on the bench with one eye on the weekends important FA Vase tie at AFC Totton.  Town suddenly had more penetration as Skipp held onto the ball and maintained possession and gained territory with his trademark weaving runs.  Tim Jenkins tried to find him with a ball but had looked to overhit the pass, however Carterton keeper Steve Benbows hurried clearance struck his own defender whos got too close, and Skipp was first to the loose ball, gathered himself and stroked the ball home, game on!!  Steve Olczak was pushed up front as Andy Varnam was withdrawn after a quiet first game back after injury, and Town were really turning the screw and forcing the home side back.  Busby again caused mayhem down the Chippy right flank, his power and pace taking him clear of Steedman, only for the latter to foul and earn himself a yellow card.  From the resulting free kick, Jenkins wicked delivery was met by the firm ead of Scott Fuller who opened his account for The Magpies by heading high into the net.  Moment later Jenkins again was the creator when a beautifully weighted crossfield throughball found Olczak galloping away in a foot race with ex-Magpie Jerry Packham, Olczaks pace got him to the ball and his delicate chipped finish would have put Chippy in front had Packham not stuck out a boot and got the merest of deflection that took the ball up onto the crossbar and away to safety.   Up the other end and Carterton responded and had a great spell of pressure for the last ten minutes and Avenell missed their best chance when he was gifted a free header in the six yard box, but he headed over.  Kevin Lewis had a goal disallowed in the final couple of minutes for offside, after a Threlfell shot had evaded Harriss grasp, the decision a correct one.  So a share of the points, and another example of the never say die attitude from Chippy who travel to deepest Hampshire for the FA Vase tie on Saturday

TEAM:  Mark Harris 6, Gary Morrison 6, Wes Proverbs 7, Steve Olczak 7, Stuart Lamont 6, Scott Fuller 7, Nathan Haisley 7, Cameron Busby 8*, Tim Jenkins 7, Steve Knight 6 (Dave Skipp 45/8), Andy Varnam 6 (Craig Holman 61/7)